Monday, December 5, 2011

Criteria

So, it's almost time for exams but I decided to take a break from studying before I sleep to just blog for a bit. I like doing these kind of blogs - a post exam blog, where I talk about how I feel before exams so then I can reflect on it once the experience is over. I guess, that wasn't intended to be the point of this particular blog though, since I'm sure I've said the same thing before every exam I'm written/am ever going to write. I feel a bit nervous, but wish exams would come sooner to just be over with.

Do we just go through life constantly experiencing the same sort of reoccuring feelings about events that are more similar than we'd like to think? How limited just is our range of emotions?

Anyway, what I wanted to talk about today was Criteria. I was thinking today about how fortunate I was to acquire a job over the summer, and same with my sister as well. But we realized that both of our jobs (and probably most "good" jobs out there) are extremely difficult to attain and require meeting a lot of specific criteria. However, when it comes down to actually doing a job, I feel there's a sort of discrepancy between the criteria that's required to preform to task and the criteria that is used to asses/distinguish between potential candidates. Which is clearly unfair. Why are people being judged on seemingly irrelevant traits or abilities?

Perhaps this is just another way that society breeds people to be more competitive for reasons which seem both impractical and incomprehensible to me. If two people both have the ability to do a job, why bother delineating between them on the basis of traits which are not relevant to doing a particular job? Sometimes, I just don't understand things. It would be nice if things were more fair, even if it meant there had to be an element of randomness introduced into a job application process or what not. Maybe it gives people some sort of closure if things are deterministic...even if to the point where it's not really logical...?

1 comment: