Saturday, December 30, 2017

2017 Reflections: Part I

I've been noticing a pattern emerge in the last 5 or so years of my life so far. Usually there's one year of intense change followed by another year which is mainly characterized by "adjusting" or you could even call it "coasting". For example, in 2014 I graduated from college and started the transition into real "adult" life - moving downtown and getting my own place along with going to work every day. However, 2015 was mostly marked by just developing new relationships and pursuing hobbies I had been interested in for a while (started going to the Y and playing badminton again).

Similarly, it seems 2016 and 2017 have also followed this pattern. 2016 was when I first moved to SF and I felt as if the whole second half of the year was mostly just me adjusting to being in a new place along with a new work environment and what not. In comparison, 2017 seems pretty tame. In fact, if it wasn't for starting graduate school part time in the second half of the year I would go so far as to say it was probably one of the least eventful years I've had in recent memory.

I don't mean to suggest that I'm sad or annoyed that 2017 seemed largely uneventful compared to 2016. I think it was nice to just surrender to the typical ebbs and flows of working life and while slowly beginning to think about what I wanted in the future. I'm going to try and re-iterate what I think are the main events and changes that happened this year and then hopefully have another post later about what I want to accomplish in 2018.

I remember the year starting off in a pretty relaxed fashion mainly cause of our company wide conference which meant work was not really a priority for January. At the same time, I got rejected for a research job I thought was really cool (in fact I would get rejected from another cool job later on too) so maybe that was just foreshadowing the fact that no real "big" changes would occur in 2017. Though, in retrospect, I did get an offer for a job in New York that I could have moved to if I wanted.

Other than that, the first half of the year was marked by work being quite busy trying to get the new location system out along with trying to spend more time with Hg. Looking back on my messages with Dez now, I see I was talking about hg as early as the beginning of March. Of course, this all culminated in her leaving and some awkward conversations about feelings/relationships. But I don't want to get into that now since I've already written about it before. I'm just making a note of it here since Hg was pretty much a large portion of my emotional investment throughout the whole year, especially the earlier half. To be honest though, I feel that I was more mature about Hg that I have been about other girls I've was crushing on in the past. On the surface, I wasn't clingy and we didn't really talk that much - I was able to put her out of my mind when I needed to seriously get work done. Another thing worth mentioning is that D came to visit me in SF which was nice and, even though I was annoyed at times, I remember feeling kind of sad/lonely when she left which is rare for me.

One thing that did change in 2017 was that I decided to attend graduate school part time starting in September. As I've told a few close friends, I'm not sure what the actual benefits will be or how much it all matters but I think, ultimately, going to grad school is something I needed to prove to myself that I could do. Overall, I'm glad that I got the "new" experience of graduate school as it was one of the few "new" experiences I was able to try out in 2017 and something that's been nagging at me for a long time.

Another interesting event was labour day trip with high school friends. While it was fun (as hanging out with that group usually is) it also reinforced the notion that the passage of time has pretty much deteriorated whatever special "bond" I thought I had with my larger group of high school friends. By that  I mean that, while it was fun, it didn't really seem that unique compared to, say, a cottaging trip with some other high school friends. One thing I want to focus on in the new year is trying to only cultivate relationships with people that I believe are really important and/or will improve my life in a positive way. That might mean burning some bridges or "ghosting" some people but I think it's necessary as there's only a limited amount of time we can spend on social interactions and I want to do my best to make sure it's meaningful. (Note: I realize that I wrote about wanting to do the same thing in my 2016 year end post...but I really need to get serious about it now. I think it's even something other high school people, such as J, are starting to realize now too). 

Upon writing everything down now, I do feel a sense of disappointment when I think of 2017. At least from an emotional point of view I wasn't really able to meet any new people that I connected with (though I have to say I'm proud of myself for handling the whole situation with Hg). From a "goals progression" kind of view at least I was able to start graduate school which is something I've had in the back of my mind for a long time which is great. However, my more creative/personal goals had kind of fallen to the wayside in the sense that I barely made any headway on hobbies such as writing a novel or working on a Artificial Intelligence side project (but I did get a project done through school so there's that...)

I guess what really bothers me is when I see "goals" that I've written down in several year-end reflection posts now. Things such as writing a novel or talking to less high school friends. As I mentioned earlier, I think I either really need to take these things seriously or just determine that I was wrong and they aren't really worth the effort. I don't like the feeling of continuously adding items/goals to a list every year only to have made little progress towards them. If they aren't important enough for me to make progress towards then I feel like they are either poorly constructed goals or something else must have come up during the year for me to focus on. However, in 2017 it doesn't really seem like anything else came up for me to focus on so I'm honestly starting to think it's the former. Or maybe I was just being lazy in 2017 and got caught up in a "normal" life schedule. Maybe I need to just constantly remind myself to keep pushing forwards and making progress towards my goals. 


No comments:

Post a Comment