Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Living Without Want

 So, it's the start of Ramadan today and, while I don't consider myself to be particularly religious, it got me thinking about what the whole point of it all is. If I were to guess, the whole act of fasting is about abstaining from wants in our life. It's to help us realize that we don't need all these extra things to survive or even be happy. We don't need fancy, indulgent meals but rather the goal is to remind us to always be humble and take us back to a simpler way of living.

It also helped me work through something about people's attitude towards the vaccine that sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I feel like so many people (including some "friends") had this strong sense of urgency to get it to the point where they were willing to disregard the rules and/or lie about their health conditions just to receive it a few weeks early. In addition to being selfish I also just found it kind of bothered me - in most cases, getting the vaccine is just a convenience unless you are a front line health worker or do something that requires you to interact with people in high risk settings. As such, we should be fine with waiting, there's no need to rush. I feel like this sense of urgency just points to some deeper insecurity or lack of patience people must have. In fact, I believe the ultimate goal should be to attain peace/happiness while possessing almost nothing at all. Maybe this is a dumb hippie way of thinking but, at the end of the day, I think it's kind of a pre-requisite to achieve true happiness because in the grand scheme of things we really don't "have" anything.

Maybe a more practical way to phrase it is that you'll be happier overall if the set of "things" you need to be content is as small as possible because we never know what will happen in life. If you were on of those people who defined their happiness by being able to travel, go to clubs/bars or any other social things then COVID was probably devastating for you. Same idea with people who's sole source of happiness comes from a relationship with their S.O. I guess another approach would be to try to have many things in life for you to derive happiness one, so losing any single one isn't a big deal but the other general strategy seems to be making your "happiness set" as small as possible. 

I suppose then a natural question is what is my "happiness set"? What things in my life make me happy? I would say it's pretty small - I don't really care about food/travelling in any significant sense. I would say things like writing, spending time with family, playing video games with friends, exercising and maybe like hiking/being in nature. 

The last point was that I was also thinking about how adaptable humans are. I put on my mask today to go to the doctor's and realized I didn't even give it a second thought, it just felt like something we have to do now. In that sense, I don't really care about the world going back to "normal" as long as the general population can remain healthy/safe. Maybe it's because I'm introverted but I think it goes beyond that. While any change is uncomfortable at first, eventually we can and will adjust to this new baseline - it's quite literally what humans are meant to do. It's OK for life to change sometimes and we ("humanity") can probably endure much more than we think we are capable of. Perhaps one philosophy of life is that it's all about testing our limits of how much we can endure and, the realization that we can endure more than we expected is what generates happiness itself in some strange way.




No comments:

Post a Comment